Saturday, July 9, 2011

Dollar Store Decor

My daughter Sage is turning 7 next month, and requested a room makeover as her gift. I think this is a great idea as right now she doesn't have very functional furniture or storage in her room. I've already ordered a bed with storage through Walmart, and we're waiting on that to arrive. Next week we're heading to Ikea to pick up a dresser, desk, and a few other odds and ends. I can't wait for that trip! However, I also want to add some fun decorative touches to really make the room special for her. Of course we're on a budget though and so I have to be creative with my choices. I've actually had this idea for a chandelier lamp made of dollar store finds in my head for months now and thought this was the perfect time to attempt it.

First you'll need the following materials. A metal hanging basket, and mardi gras beads. Both of these can be found at the Dollar Tree, which is where I got the basket. However, I wanted all one color of beads and so I purchased these ones at Five Below, which for those who do not know is a dollar store of sorts. Everything there is priced at $5 or less. These were 4 strands for $1. I used 14 packages. You'll also need a pair of scissors, and any color of thread. I had these on hand.


The first step is to cut the beads in half so you'll get two strands out of each necklace.


Next, I removed the chain from the basket to make it easier to work with. I then held the top bead of the strand to the edge of the basket rim, and wrapped the thread around the bead  and rim 2 to 3 times. I repeated this with every strand. Make sure to pull the thread taught so the beads don't fall off, or end up being loose. While it's a fairly simple process, it is rather labor intensive. I think it took me about an hour and a half to complete.

This is the semi-finished product. I plan to purchase a HEMMA cord light from Ikea to insert into it so it will be functional.



In total, with the light, it will have cost me just $19 for this really cool chandelier lamp!



1 comment:

  1. Awesome idea, Sharon! I wish I was half as creative as you!

    -Andrea

    ReplyDelete