Monday, September 26, 2011

Hanging Garden Results

And so it is officially Fall, and I've realized I never shared the conclusion to my hanging garden experiment. I'm sad to say, the whole thing was not as productive as I'd hoped it would be, and I probably could have used the money I spent on the materials and the plants to purchase fresh produce from the local supermarket or farmers market.

In the end, the zucchini which started out promising, yielded one medium and one small fruit. I did however slice, bread, and fry it up. It was a delicious dinner one summer evening served alongside spaghetti. I'd hoped for so much more from the two plants, but the one that hung from the bottom of the bucket completely died before producing anything. The other started producing several small zucchinis, but they dried out and rotted before maturing. I was disappointed because I really looked forward to making some awesome dishes.

The pepper plants also didn't meet my expectations. I ended up with 7 or 8 very tiny peppers. I picked them and put them in the fridge with intentions to stuff them (not that they were really big enough) and from then on forgot about them. So, we ended up with a handful of tiny shriveled peppers. I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

The tomatoes came out the big winner. We ended up with maybe a dozen or so, but they were patio tomatoes and so they were rather small. The few large ones that we did get ended up ripening just as we were leaving for our yearly trip to Iowa, and so my mom had the pleasure of enjoying those. Hubby did get to savor a few of the smaller ones on sandwiches or by themselves.

All in all, as hard as it is to admit, the whole thing was a big flop! I guess I just don't have a very green thumb. Does that mean I'm done with my container gardening escapades? Not a chance! I'm sure there's a better way to go about it, and so it's a challenge for me to attempt next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment