Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Hanging Garden Update

It's been just over 2 weeks since I last posted about my hanging veggie garden experiment. There have been some interesting developments in this period of time. I've come to notice something rather unusual. The zucchini plant that is rooted into the bottom of the bucket has not produced anything,
meanwhile the plant in the top of the bucket has sprouted several small fruits. The opposite is true of the pepper plants, though the top plant has some very tiny peppers on it, each not much bigger than a large pea. If this continues to be the trend, next year I think I will plant peppers in the bottoms of the buckets, and zucchinis on the top so all my plants will be producing. My tomatoes are only planted in the bottom of one bucket, and they are doing pretty darn well! I think they honestly must be the easiest thing to grow. I think that's the only thing I've never had a problem growing, ever.

Here are the zucchinis. The first one is the largest and just seemed to pop up out of nowhere in the last couple days. The very first two that grew for some reason shriveled up and disappeared. I don't know what happened to them. I'm guessing an animal may have come along and snatched them. Luckily, the rest seem to be doing okay so far. I'm hoping that within the next week or two I'll finally get to make some fried zucchini.




Here are the thriving tomatoes! 


 Here's my hand holding one of the larger ones to give you some perspective. Though, my hands are fairly small. Still, these things are growing pretty quickly and should be ready within another week or so.


 And finally, my beautiful peppers. The rest are still very small yet. They seem to be growing the slowest. I hope the ones planted in the top of the bucket start to thrive. One plant is red and one is green, though I can't quite remember which is which, so I guess I'll be surprised.

4 comments:

  1. Good job, Sharon. You'll have to make us something for Meetup with your harvest. Ever make that zucchini caserole that tastes like apples? I't s really really good...and people can't even tell it's zucchini. Great for kids to get some important veggie nutrients in a sneaky way.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! There is nothing like fresh veggies that you've grown in your own yard! Hmm, now I want to try that zucchini casserole that tastes like apples!
    - jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here ya go, Jo!

    Zucchini Crisp Recipe

    10 Cups Zucchini (if a larger zucchini with big seeds, I would de-seed first)
    2/3 Cup Lemon Juice (some folks increase to 1 cup for added tartness)
    2 Cups Sugar
    1 tsp. Cinnamon

    Cook above ingredients in pot without lid until tender....al dente if preferred.

    Crust:

    4 Cups Flour
    3 Cups Sugar (2 cups can be used without ruining the recipe)
    3 Sticks Oleo/Butter (I prefer butter)

    Mix together above ingredients. Will be crumbly. Pat 1/2 into bottom of 9x13" pan. Bake at 375°F for 10 minutes.

    Let cool for 5-10 minutes.

    Add zucchini filling. Do not drain juice.

    Sprinkle remaining crust mixture on top of filling and bake for 35 minutes or until lightly brown.

    I sure hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

    Sandy

    PS...some people substitute some sliced apple for some of the zucchini. I don't think it is necessary but I guess it could help to disguise the zucchini even further for the veggie haters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Sandy! Sounds yummy - I will try this for sure!

    - Jo

    ReplyDelete