Thursday, June 16, 2011

Thursday Morning Shopping

Thursday mornings are now my routine grocery shopping day. I do the majority of my grocery shopping at Giant Eagle (GE). I love that store for many reasons. First, they have great sales and while a store like Walmart is cheaper in general, they never run the types of sales that a regular grocery store does. Second, GE doubles coupons up to .99 which is fantastic because that means .75 coupons are more valuable than those that are a $1. Plus, they offer ecoupons on their website that can combine with paper coupons giving you even more savings! On top of all that, they also offer Fuelperks and Foodperks. For every $50 you spend in the grocery store, you save .10 cents per gallon at their gas station. Then, for every 10 gallons of gas you purchase, you earn 1% off your grocery purchase. You can save these perks and get up to 20% off your groceries, or even a FREE tank of gas. Also, I find that GE has better produce than most stores and is generally cleaner and better kept overall. I love my weekly GE shopping trips!

 The Giant Eagle sales circular comes out on Tuesdays and so I'll go through it Tuesday and Wednesday matching up my coupons with the sales. I think I did exceptionally well this week. My retail total before taking into account the store specials, my coupons, and my Foodperks came to 133.39. After the sales, my coupons, and redemption of my 7% Foodperks, my out of pocket cost was just $52.87 for all of this:



I had a coupon for everything here with the exception of the 2 cans of tuna, one bottle of ketchup, and the PAM which I've been out of for ages and had to get. Yep, I even had coupons for the blueberries and salad! Those who say there just aren't coupons for healthy foods like fruits and veggies just don't look hard enough.

I did make an error when it came to the ketchup. I had an ecoupon for $1 off 2 bottles, but it slipped my mind that it was off the 32oz. or larger. I passed by these vintage looking collectors bottles and that kind of drew me in. I'm a sucker for anything retro. These are just 14oz. and so I didn't get the $1 off, but I had a .25 coupon which doubled, and so I ended up paying 3.50 for both. This will teach me to double check my ecoupon list BEFORE I put something in the cart.

Some highlight purchases of this trip were:
The 2 boxes of Bisquick @ just .65 cents each.
The Uncle Ben's Ready Rice was free with my .75 coupon.
The blueberries cost me $1.98 for both packages. Maybe I'll bake a pie!
The hot dogs were just .50 a pack. These are going to be perfect to sell at my yard sale coming up next week.
Finally, while I'm well stocked on toothpaste, the Crest with Scope is my favorite kind, and with my coupon it cost me just a quarter, so I had to get it.

Overall, I'm thrilled with today's purchases.

1 comment: