Thursday, June 30, 2011

Weekly Shopping Trip

I woke up at 10 til 7 this morning and headed out to Giant Eagle for my usual Thursday morning shopping trip. I was pretty excited because I was able to score some awesome deals this week! Plus, while I was shopping I ran into another couponer. I was stocking up on shave gels when she came by to do the same. She was a little baffled by all the choices and asked which scent I preferred. I told her they're all great, so she grabbed one of each. And then I ran into her again near the meat section and she noticed all the detergent in my cart. She asked what the deal was on that as she flipped through her gigantic coupon binder. I took this opportunity to invite her to join my couponing group on meetup.com. She seemed interested, so I hope she joins!


Today's Best Deals:

8 Wisk Detergents @ $3.99 each - $2 coupon = $1.99 each
4 Colgate Toothpastes @ $1 each - $.75 coupon (doubled) = FREE
2 San Giorgio Pastas @ $1 each - $.55 coupon (doubled) = FREE
10 Skintimate Shave Gels @ $1.50 each - $.55 coupon (doubled) = $.40 each

My entire order of 34 items cost me just $31.66. That works out to about .93 cents per item. Before store specials and coupons my total would have been $119.15. I saved $87.49 which is a total of 73%.

I got the same deal on the detergent earlier in the week, and so I have about 20 bottles reserved in my stock pile. I estimate that it should last us at least two years. I won't need to purchase anymore until my stock gets low again. We were buying our laundry soap at Sam's Club for approximately $12 per 150 oz jug. These bottles of Wisk are 50 oz. bottles and at $2 each, cost me half of what I was paying before. Therefore, my detergent reserves in the long run have saved me about $40.

I know a lot of people will assume I'm hoarding everything I buy. As mentioned in previous posts, I do a lot of donating of items. Also, with what little I pay for so many items, I'm able to help out my family and friends providing them with savings as well. What goes around comes around, so share the love!

1 comment:

  1. You are awesome! I think people didn't even know what hoarding was until that show came along, and now they are quick to pin that label on people. There is a big difference between buying useless junk because "someone might need it someday" or hanging onto a bulging carton of yogurt from 1979 and what you're doing, which is looking for deals on necessities. You can never have enough detergent or toothpaste (says someone who has made too many late-night runs to the 24 hour drug store...!)
    -jo

    ReplyDelete