Saturday, June 18, 2011

"The Help"

After just four days, I finished the first book I've read in at least three years. Back in High School I read all the time. I loved going to the book store, especially the local book outlet (a bargain hunter even then) and just browsing until I found the right book. However, pregnancy seemed to ruin me in a sense. I got mommy brain and found it hard to concentrate. I've started several books that I never could finish because I just couldn't focus for that long. I think since I've had my daughter I've finished all of 3 or 4 books in the last six, almost seven years. Two of those being by my favorite author, A.M. Homes, and I couldn't even tell you if she's come out with anything new recently.

So, what made me decide to start reading again? I run a local women's social group and several of those ladies have started a book club within the group. The most recent selection was "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett and this happened to be a book given to me by a great friend for my birthday last year. I figured that since it's been sitting on my shelf, this would be a great time to pick it up. I pretty much devoured it over the last four days. I think that's actually a record for me, with it being well over 400 pages.

The basic plot is that it's set in Jackson, Mississippi in the early 1960's. A white woman in her 20's decides to write a book of interviews of the local black maids and their stories of working for white families. At first she has trouble finding maids who will participate for fear of their employers finding out and ruining their careers and their lives. The first people to agree to help are the two maids of her closest friends, Aibileen and Minny. The book covers the lives of these three characters as well as their efforts to write the book, and the consequences once they do. It's got both humor and seriousness to it. I love that time period and so that really drew me in, but it was so well written that you really begin to know the characters and become caught up in their emotions. Overall, a great read and I can't wait to discuss it with the book club. And, I think I may even start another book. It looks like I may have my focus back!

No comments:

Post a Comment